Super Herbs & Spices - CinnamonCinnamon. Used by ancient Egyptians for everything from cooking to embalming, this popular spice cultivated from the bark of a tropical evergreen is one of the most widely used spices on the planet.
We love it in our lattes, sprinkled with sugar on toast, in cookies, and as a background note in soups and stews, but did you know that cinnamon can help your memory, fight your sore throat, and even help with your weight loss plan?
Here are some of cinnamon's best health benefits for professional vocalists:
1. Antioxidant - Cinnamon contains high amounts of polyphenols, antioxidants that help our bodies fight degenerative diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular disease.
2. Aid In Weight Loss - Cinnamon is one of the best things to stock in your kitchen if you are starting a new diet, have trouble balancing insulin levels, or burn fat.
- Control Insulin Levels & Balance Blood Sugar - Studies have shown that cinnamon can help to control blood sugar levels by imitating insulin in the body, and by maintaining blood sugar levels, and lowering the glycemic index of your meals.
- Appetite Suppressant - Because cinnamon helps prevent a spike in your blood sugar it is also helpful in keeping your feel satiated and avoiding overeating when blood sugar levels drop.
- Metabolism Booster - Cinnamon causes a slight rise in body temperature, which gives metabolism a boost. This is called the thermogenic effect.
3. Fight Inflammation - Cinnamon is a natural anti-inflammatory and can help to prevent acute inflammation, or swelling. For professional vocalists, adding cinnamon to your hot tea or coffee is one way of helping to ease the inflammation caused by a sore throat or over-worked vocals.
4. Improve Brain Function - A study presented at the Association for Chemoreception Sciences, suggested that smelling aroma of cinnamon or chewing cinnamon-flavored gum can actually improve cognitive function, specifically memory. flavored gum or just smelling cinnamon enhanced study participants' cognitive processing. In the study conducted by researchers at Wheeling Jesuit University under Dr. P Zoladz, participants who chewed cinnamon-flavored gum or were exposed to the aroma of cinnamon during a computer-based test showed significant improvement in tasks related to attentional processes, virtual recognition memory, working memory, and visual-motor speed.
So the next time you are learning a song or need to memorize lyrics, a speech, choreography, or a lecture - chew cinnamon-flavored gum and surround yourself with the smell of cinnamon.
5. Fight Germs - Cinnamon has anti-microbial properties, which can help to kill bacteria in your mouth, throat, and digestive system. The anti-microbial compounds in cinnamon's essential oils have been studied extensively for their effectiveness in inhibiting the growth of fungi - particularly the harmful yeast Candida, which inhabits the mouth and intestines and can cause a leaky gut and serious digestive health problems.Since cinnamon has both benefits when consumed and when the aromas are inhaled, we thought the best recipe is one that is most well known for its insanely intoxicating aroma... The Cinnamon Roll. Not only will the smell get your brain functioning, but the cinnamon-laden breakfast pastry will give your immune system and metabolism a delicious boost. We made this recipe paleo-friendly for those looking for a healthier alternative to the calorific cinnamon roll.PALEO CINNAMON ROLL
1 3/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 TBSP ground cinnamon
1/4 cup room temp, softened butter (unsalted)
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 TBSP vanilla extract
[caption id="attachment_80723" align="aligncenter" width="470"]
Make these paleo cinnamon rolls to get your metabolism and brain working first thing in the morning![/caption]
- 2 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 2 TBSP chopped pecansICING
1/4 cup raw honey
1/2 TBSP cinnamon
2 TBSP coconut oil
* To make the icing, melt all the ingredients together in the microwave at :30second intervals until the ingredients are combined.
TO MAKE THE CINNAMON ROLLS
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl
Cream together butter, eggs, extract, and oil in a stand mixer.
Slowly add all the dry ingredients until everything is incorporated
Place the dough in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to set up
Mix the filling ingredients together in a small bowl
Roll out the dough on parchment paper (use the almond flour to prevent sticking) into one sheet about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
Spread the filling evenly over the rolled out dough
Roll the dough into a log and cut slices 2-3" thick depending on how large you want your cinnamon rolls.
Place the cut circles onto a baking sheet (they can bake into eachother so no need to separate them more than 1/4" apart)
Bake at 350* for 20 min or until the dough is lightly brown (you can use your finger to press the dough to feel if it is done - it should have little give)
Once baked, remove from the oven and drizzle the icing over the warm cinnamon rolls.
Consult your physician before making any dietary changes to treat health disorders. If you have questions related to ENT health, contact the Colorado Voice Clinic at ColoradoVoiceClinic.comSources
http://ColoradoVoiceClinic.comMon, Apr 20, 2015 @ 10:56 AM MDT